Home » » TO TRANNY OR NOT TO TRANNY?

TO TRANNY OR NOT TO TRANNY?

Written By Unknown on Tuesday, January 22, 2013 | 3:56 AM

TO TRANNY OR NOT TO TRANNY?





After my involvement in a NYE queerphobic attack, I've been thinking about getting people together for an event that isn't political, sit down cabaret, sex or 'tops off' one. A sporadic club and performance night for anyone and everyone (like all my club events, I try to be inclusive. I don't dig segregation) celebrating all things transformative, however permanent or temporary called TRANNY.

This may sound like I'm vying for controversy, this is how my mind works and the last thing I want to do is offend anyone. I'm the first person to stand up against transphobia (see my last post) but I understand that there may be some people who might have a problem with calling a club night TRANNY.

Tranny can be controversial. The marvelous Mz Kimberley received all manner of grief from the trans community for singing her signature song, a cover of Peggy Lee's 'I'm a Woman' as 'I'm a Tranny' (which baffles me, as a transwoman, she has the right to call herself whatever she wants to). I've received negativity about defining myself as the 'Tranny with a Fanny'. I'm reclaiming over the top camp femininity from drag queens and glorifying it. It's been almost ten years, I'm not going to change that now. Interestingly, I'm not aware of a negative reaction against the name of club night Trannyshack.

I'm not dictating and guessing the overtly politically correct might react unfavourably to this idea but I'm suggesting trans people reclaim the word tranny from negative connotations. Gay people took the all encompassing term queer from bigots as a term of empowerment, isn't it time the trans folk did the same with tranny?
It's a word that isn't going to go away, surely claiming and using it positively removes negative power from idiots, bullies and Daily Mail readers? The more queer and trans people have a strong, positive public presence, the better for everyone.

So, back to the club night idea. I'd like to call the night TRANNY not to shock, scandalise, sensationalise or ridicule but to celebrate. The only policy I'd enforce is that everyone respect each other. I'm not reinventing the wheel here but would like to have a fun night where trans people, queers, drag queens, club kids, gays, lesbians and even straight people can mix and mingle without judgement and be as inclusive as Wotever and T-Lounge in Copenhagen (which I've performed and DJed at many times).

The music, like all my nights would be fun, up and party (no banging generic gay house or naff pop remixes). The performances would be a mixed handbag. There would possibly be a changing area (not a dark room). It'll be fun...one hopes. Would you go to TRANNY?

This is still an idea and may not happen. It's already provoked both a positive and negative reaction on my facebook page, we'll see what happens.
ALLPOST BY-SUNILPRATAP
Share this article :

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Categories

Popular Posts

Powered by Blogger.
 
Copyright © 2013. loveyouwithcookies - All Rights Reserved
Proudly powered by Blogger